Do you need help understanding GDPR?
Are you worried about fines and want to keep on the right side of the law?
We can help you assess the risks and build a GDPR compliance plan for your business.
GDPR Workshops from Backhouse Solicitors
If you are finding the challenge of GDPR compliance rather overwhelming then don’t panic – our GDPR Workshops are here to help!
We have put together a comprehensive training package on GDPR, compliance, and data protection’s impact on businesses, which is now available to all of our clients:
- Our “Understand” GDPR workshop teaches senior managers what is required under the new rules and how to start planning for their introduction
- Our “Plan and Initiate” workshop takes this a step further and works with senior management to develop a companywide plan to integrate GDPR into the business
An Introduction to GDPR
The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”) come into effect on 25th May 2018 for all business in the EU member states, as well as any company offering, goods, services or marketing to EU citizens. While the UK will be leaving the EU in 2019, the regulations will be mandatory well before then and will be written into UK law on Brexit so all UK businesses must comply.
GDPR introduces new obligations for any company that handles the personal data of EU citizens. As a result you will soon be required to build data protection into your business processes by “design and default” rather than as an afterthought.
Fines for Non-Compliance with GDPR
Breaching the new regulations could have a significant financial impact on your business if you stick your head in the sand. Fines for severe non-compliance can be up to the greater of 4% of global turnover or EUR20m. Importantly, it is expected that fines will be reduced if a company can show that they have made a genuine effort to protect data.
Don’t Panic – Planning and Preparation is Key to GDPR
There are many companies in the market spreading fear about GDPR in an attempt to panic you into buying their consultancy and training services. At Backhouse Solicitors we believe in doing things properly, and suggest you:
- Understand the rules
- Review your current operations
- Prepare a plan to get compliant
- Put that plan into action
By planning properly you will avoid duplication of effort or missing important steps and will be able to demonstrate to the regulators that you have thought about the rules and made a proper effort to comply.
Getting Started with GDPR – Some questions for you
With limited time remaining before the GDPR deadline, now is the time to get started with your planning. Ask yourself the following questions to help you understand how compliant your business is with GDPR rules:
- Are we happy we understand what data we are holding?
- Do we consider the Data Protection aspects of any new projects we undertake?
- Have we updated our Data Protection Policy and trained all of our staff in best practice?
- How do we protect our data when employees work from home?
- Do we encrypt all mobile devices which contain personal data?
- Do we actively minimise the data we hold including deleting information we no longer need?
- Do we ask clients/targets to opt in to marketing information rather than presuming consent?
Backhouse Solicitors GDPR Training
More information regarding our GDPR workshop content and pricing can be found in our Backhouse Solicitors GDPR Training download – click here to get your copy:
To discuss your needs and arrange a training session with our experts simply contact us today:
The Backhouse Solicitors GDPR Team
Tel: 01245 893400
Email: [email protected]
Visit: 71 Duke Street, Chelmsford, CM1 1JU
Or send us a message through the Contact Us page on this website.