At Backhouse Solicitors we take great pride in a fantastic team of people who work together to look after our clients and make this a great place to work. For that reason we only employ people who share our core values of great service, teamwork and value for money. Below you will find a list of current opportunities in our team – if you think you are the person we are looking for then we would love to hear from you.
We are a growing firm, and as a result we are always looking for people who share our values to join the team. If that’s you, then we would be very happy to take a look at your CV even if there are no specific roles advertised below – we are always keen to create an opportunity for the right person. Email your CV and covering letter to Liz Lister at [email protected].
Employment Law Solicitor
Are you prepared to invest a few years of hard work
to set your career up and future for life?
We want people in our team with drive and ambition, is this you?
Backhouse Solicitors Limited are looking for an ambitious Employment Solicitor to join their highly reputable Employment team based in Chelmsford. We are looking for candidates who are ideally 4+ years PQE.
- A good knowledge of employment law
- An excellent communicator
- Great client care skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to win new clients
- A passion for networking
- A hard worker who wants to develop their legal career and progress quickly
- Always willing to learn and try new things
- Trustworthy and professional
- A team player willing to help out colleagues
About the Role
Your role will be to harness our team’s expertise to solve our clients’ legal problems with expert, commercially minded and great value advice. On a week-to-week basis this is how you will achieve this:
- Meeting potential new clients, getting a really detailed understanding of what they need and giving them the confidence to instruct Backhouse to solve their problems. Not all lawyers understand that an initial interview is a combination of a sales meeting and an information gathering meeting to turn a potential new client into an actual new client. Can you sell your expertise in a confident and professional way?
- Solving employment law problems for individuals – identifying all the potential issues and getting the best legal outcome for your client. You will see people from all walks of life and need to be able to communicate at the right level in plain English.
- Solving employment law issues for businesses – from start-ups to larger SMEs you will solve day to day employment and HR issues and keep your clients on the right side of the law with up to date paperwork and your expert advice at the end of the phone.
- Growing the Backhouse business – working with the rest of the team to develop new opportunities and communicating our message to attract new clients. This will range from writing articles for the website and publications to attending business networking events and even speaking to a room full of people if you have the skill.
- Working with the management team to decide on the future direction of the firm and getting involved with making it happen
It goes without saying that as a Solicitors practice, we have high professional standards to meet and we expect the highest ethical standard from all our team.
Salaries are based on how much our team members bill. We set a starting salary based on initial expectations and if these are exceeded the salary is increased. We don’t set an upper limit as we want to reward our high-flyers.
We solve our clients’ legal problems with expert, commercially minded and great value advice. We are a small and friendly team who work hard to get the job done. We support each other to solve problems and every member of the team has a say in how we work and how we can make things better
You will be working directly with Minal Backhouse (the MD) and her team of lawyers and support staff, a very experienced group who are passionate about helping each other develop and improve. Our team is usually based in our offices so we can see clients at short notice when needed. Our IT systems are cloud-based however and allow us to work from home if needed.
We are very proud of our great team; they are our strongest assets and have helped us build our employment team from nothing to one of the best in Essex in just over 10 years. We look after our clients and they look after us. You only have to look at our Google reviews to see what people think of us and how we work.
- Professional training and personal development courses as needed to grow as an expert
- Friendly working environment
- Team lunches
- Free tea, coffee and water
- Always an unhealthy amount of cake in the office kitchen
- Great opportunities to get involved in the running of the business
Interested? Please sent your CV and covering letter to [email protected]
Senior Private Client Solicitor
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced senior solicitor to join our Private Client team based in Chelmsford.
About the Role
Our Private Client team consists of a Solicitor (Director) a Probate Executive and an experienced Legal Secretary.
You will have experience in the following:-
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Preparing Wills and Powers of Attorney
- Court of Protection matters
You must be able to demonstrate clear leadership skills and be at least 5 years PQE. We have a strong client base and large Will bank that has been built up over many years so our ideal candidate will have the ability both to look after existing clients and also develop and grow the department through attracting new clients. We ask all of our team to participate in networking events and promote the firm in the local business community.
At Backhouse Solicitors we pride ourselves on our high standard of customer care and client service, so it is vital that you are committed to maintaining this high standard. We offer an attractive salary with the potential of earning more by way of bonuses and Directorship opportunities are available for team members who demonstrate leadership and commitment to building our practice.
Interested? Please send your CV and covering letter to Liz Lister at [email protected]
Legal Secretary – Residential Conveyancing (New Build & Non-New Build)
Due to growth an opportunity has arisen for a Legal Secretary within our very busy Conveyancing department and for this role previous experience in new build and non-new build is essential. Working for one of our Directors and solicitors in the residential conveyancing department, you will be required to deliver secretarial and administrative support together with a flexible and positive approach to working in a busy and demanding growing firm.
- Audio Typing
- Dealing with clients over the telephone and face to face
- Providing quotes to prospective clients using our online quote tool
- Land Registry Direct system application forms
- Opening files and proceeding with the initial stages of conveyancing transactions
- Completing Local Authority, Chancel and other relevant pre-exchange searches
- Complete Stamp Duty Land Tax forms
- Post-completion procedures
- File Closure
- Building up a good rapport with Estate Agents and other parties
- You take an active interest in and obtain a thorough understanding of client requirements
- Previous experience of working within a conveyancing department doing both new build and non-new build transactions
- Experience supporting more than one Fee Earner
- Confident, clear and articulate communication skills both orally and in writing
- Well presented, appropriate to a professional business environment
- Pleasant telephone manner speaks clearly and fluently
- Ability to work in a planned and organised way with the ability to multitask
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Excellent IT Skills
- Experience of using a case management system preferred but not essential
- You gain job satisfaction from providing the highest level of client service
Working as part of a wider Admin Team you will also be required to take part on the Admin Team rota and the hours for this are 8.30 – 5.00 and 9.00 – 5.30.
This is an excellent role for someone who has a positive and flexible approach to work. In return we offer an attractive salary and a great place to work!