At Backhouse Solicitors we take great pride in a fantastic team of people who work together to look after our clients and make this a great place to work. For that reason we only employ people who share our core values of great service, teamwork and value for money. Below you will find a list of current opportunities in our team – if you think you are the person we are looking for then we would love to hear from you.
We are a growing firm, and as a result we are always looking for people who share our values to join the team. If that’s you, then we would be very happy to take a look at your CV even if there are no specific roles advertised below – we are always keen to create an opportunity for the right person. Email your CV and covering letter to Liz Lister at [email protected].
Legal Business Administration Apprentice – Reception
We are looking to recruit a Business Administration Apprentice to join us and provide first class support to our Legal teams. We are a successful Law firm in the heart of Chelmsford and are looking to add to our growing team. This role is an excellent opportunity to gain experience and qualification in business administration in the Legal sector.
In this role you will be based in reception working alongside our receptionist and wider admin team and whilst undertaking coursework via our chosen training provider, you will also be involved in administrative support for our various Legal departments namely Employment, Conveyancing, Private Client, Family, Debt Recovery and Litigation. Your duties will include but not be limited to the following:-
- Meeting and greeting clients and visitors and informing relevant people of their arrival
- Answering the telephone in a clear and confident manner
- Taking accurate telephone messages and passing on in a prompt manner
- Making appointments in the absence of the secretary
- Ensuring clients’ needs are anticipated and met at all times
- Ensure the reception and client waiting area is kept clean and tidy
- Ensure meeting rooms are kept clean and tidy and stocked with stationery.
- Lunchtime reception cover.
- Holiday reception cover.
- Managing and processing inbound post. Sorting and scanning on to Osprey document management system.
- Undertaking file opening and sending initial client letters, completing forms as appropriate. Making follow up appointments with clients.
- Scanning and photocopying.
- File closure – ensuring the correct procedures are followed.
- Typing letters, emails and other correspondence and updating the Osprey case management system.
- Supporting fee earners in marketing activities including preparation of presentations and assistance with hosting of events/meetings when required.
- Assisting with maintaining stock supplies for stationery and kitchen area.
- To be a flexible and supportive member of the team.
- Assist the Office Manager with various tasks as and when required.
- Confident, clear and articulate communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Well presented, appropriate to a professional business environment.
- Pleasant telephone manner speaks clearly and fluently.
- Ability to work in a planned and organised way with the ability to multitask.
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity.
- Methodical, accurate and consistent even when under pressure.
- Adapts and fits in well, able to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to build effective relationships with managers, staff and clients.
- An awareness of the need for confidentiality.
- Experience using Microsoft office desirable but not essential.
- Professional, polite, enthusiastic and welcoming approach.
- A willingness to assist colleagues and clients to achieve successful outcomes.
- A proactive approach and the desire to learn.
- Preferred GCSE grades at A-C/9-4 including English and Maths.
This role is working as part of a wider Admin Team and you will in due course be part of our Admin Team rota the hours for which are 8:30am – 5:00pm, 9:00am – 5:30pm and 9:30am – 6:00pm.
If this sounds like the perfect role, then we would love to hear from you.
Employment Law Solicitor
Are you prepared to invest a few years of hard work
to set your career up and future for life?
We want people in our team with drive and ambition, is this you?
Backhouse Solicitors Limited are looking for an ambitious Employment Solicitor to join their highly reputable Employment team based in Chelmsford. We are looking for candidates who are ideally 4+ years PQE.
- A good knowledge of employment law
- An excellent communicator
- Great client care skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to win new clients
- A passion for networking
- A hard worker who wants to develop their legal career and progress quickly
- Always willing to learn and try new things
- Trustworthy and professional
- A team player willing to help out colleagues
About the Role
Your role will be to harness our team’s expertise to solve our clients’ legal problems with expert, commercially minded and great value advice. On a week-to-week basis this is how you will achieve this:
- Meeting potential new clients, getting a really detailed understanding of what they need and giving them the confidence to instruct Backhouse to solve their problems. Not all lawyers understand that an initial interview is a combination of a sales meeting and an information gathering meeting to turn a potential new client into an actual new client. Can you sell your expertise in a confident and professional way?
- Solving employment law problems for individuals – identifying all the potential issues and getting the best legal outcome for your client. You will see people from all walks of life and need to be able to communicate at the right level in plain English.
- Solving employment law issues for businesses – from start-ups to larger SMEs you will solve day to day employment and HR issues and keep your clients on the right side of the law with up to date paperwork and your expert advice at the end of the phone.
- Growing the Backhouse business – working with the rest of the team to develop new opportunities and communicating our message to attract new clients. This will range from writing articles for the website and publications to attending business networking events and even speaking to a room full of people if you have the skill.
- Working with the management team to decide on the future direction of the firm and getting involved with making it happen
It goes without saying that as a Solicitors practice, we have high professional standards to meet and we expect the highest ethical standard from all our team.
Salaries are based on how much our team members bill. We set a starting salary based on initial expectations and if these are exceeded the salary is increased. We don’t set an upper limit as we want to reward our high-flyers.
We solve our clients’ legal problems with expert, commercially minded and great value advice. We are a small and friendly team who work hard to get the job done. We support each other to solve problems and every member of the team has a say in how we work and how we can make things better
You will be working directly with Minal Backhouse (the MD) and her team of lawyers and support staff, a very experienced group who are passionate about helping each other develop and improve. Our team is usually based in our offices so we can see clients at short notice when needed. Our IT systems are cloud-based however and allow us to work from home if needed.
We are very proud of our great team; they are our strongest assets and have helped us build our employment team from nothing to one of the best in Essex in just over 10 years. We look after our clients and they look after us. You only have to look at our Google reviews to see what people think of us and how we work.
- Professional training and personal development courses as needed to grow as an expert
- Friendly working environment
- Team lunches
- Free tea and coffee
- Always an unhealthy amount of cake in the office kitchen
- Great opportunities to get involved in the running of the business
Interested? Please sent your CV and covering letter to [email protected]