Home » Employment Law » Employment Law Advice for Employees » Settlement Agreement Advice for Employees

Do you need an employment solicitor to review and sign your Settlement Agreement?  Are you being offered a fair deal by your employer?

If you are leaving your job, your employer may ask you to sign a Settlement Agreement.  You may also hear the term “Compromise Agreement” which is the old pre-July 2013 name for Settlement Agreements.

What is a Settlement Agreement?

A Settlement Agreement is a legally binding agreement laying out the terms of your departure from your job.  You sign away your right to bring an Employment Tribunal claim against your employer, and often several other rights (such as the ability to sue for breach of contract), in exchange for an agreed payment from your employer when you leave.  You can also agree other things, such as the content of any future job reference.

You should usually be given a minimum of 10 days to consider the terms of a Settlement Agreement.

Watch our helpful video on Settlement Agreements

A Settlement Agreement is only valid if:

  • It is in writing

  • It relates to a particular complaint or proceedings (relating to your leaving your job)

  • You receive advice from a relevant independent adviser such as a solicitor who is identified in the agreement and signs it

  • The adviser has professional indemnity insurance to protect you

  • It states that the regulations specific to Settlement Agreements have all been met

Why use Backhouse Solicitors for your Settlement Agreement?

At Backhouse Solicitors, we are experts in employment law and reviewing Settlement Agreements.  Our team has helped thousands of employees get the best deal from their employers and we are here to do the same for you.

We will run through the agreement with you, explaining each section in plain English.  If we think that you are not receiving the best deal, we will explain this to you, and we can negotiate with your employer on your behalf to seek improved terms.  Our fee for this work is normally paid by your employer.  Complex agreements sometimes cost more, but we will always ask the employer to increase their contribution, and we will always agree fees with you in advance.

The benefits for you:

  • You will understand exactly what you are signing

  • We will tell you if we think you aren’t being paid a fair settlement and will negotiate for more on your behalf

  • Your fees will normally be paid by your employer

  • If you are better off bringing an employment tribunal claim, we will tell you so

Contact Backhouse Solicitors today for help with your Settlement Agreement

Don’t settle for second best and risk missing out – speak to the employment law specialists.

Contact us today to arrange an appointment with one of our friendly, expert solicitors and get the best deal from your employer when you leave your job.

Tel:          01245 893400
Email:     [email protected]
Visit:       17 Duke Street, Chelmsford, CM1 1JU
Or send us a message through the Contact Us page on this website.